The South African iKamva National e-Skills Institute (iNeSI) and the Informing Science Institute (ISI) invite you to participate as a speaker/presenter at the e-Skills Conference. The conference takes place on 19-21 November 2014 on the campus of the University of Cape Town. The conference is collocated with 3rd South African e-Skills Summit allowing participants to attend sessions of either event.
We also hope that you will volunteer to serve on the International Board of Reviewers for the conference.
The e-Skills conference addresses issues of interest to people promoting e-literacy and in developing and supporting e-skills (ICT skills) at all levels of life and work. The focus of the conference is the strategic and efficient use of modern ICT devices and applications as well as the related knowledge, skills, competences, teaching, learning and inventiveness of the workforce and citizens.
The conference welcomes all approaches and methodologies so long as the paper promotes academic discourse. It is particularly interested in papers that go beyond academia to engage with business, government, education and society. Conferences offered by the Informing Science Institute (ISI) are known to promote innovation and transdisciplinary approaches to problem solving and interventions. We particularly welcome case studies that explore the complex approaches to real life situations in government service delivery, business, education and societal interventions.
We are looking for contributions that provide insights for improving effective appropriation of modern ICT devices and applications into service delivery, business efficiency, entrepreneurship, and education. While opinion pieces are acceptable, we particularly stress the importance of evidence-based research.
We are most interested in learning about approaches that work. With high levels of unemployment and increasing inequality in many countries, there is a new focus on programs that are geared toward improving the workers’ abilities to function effectively with modern ICT, improving the employability of job seekers increasing workplace efficiency and productivity, and enhancing personal, family and community functionality.
InterAct: The e-Skills Conference and the 3rd South African e-Skills Summit provide opportunities for a flow of ideas and experiences among the academic community, policy-makers, implementers, service deliverers, creators of learning environments and other community interventions and activities. Meetings and activities planned for the two days preceding the Conference and Summit (17-18 November) provide opportunities for specific leadership groups to meet and undertake visits to program sites in the Cape Town environment.
Who Should Attend
Government Organizations involved in e-Skills Development; e-Skills Policy Makers; Corporations committed to e-Skills Development; Higher Education Institutions, Open & Distance Learning Institutions, Technical and Traditional Educational Providers; Researchers; Civil Society and NGOs focused on leveraging and evaluating e-Skills.
Download a Printable Call for Participation
Ideas for topics
The theme of the e-Skills 2014 conference is “bringing the future to life,” but your submission is not limited to the theme. Here are some suggestions for topics:
- Better ways to transfer workplace skills.
- Lifelong acquisition of e-Skills
- Employability and e-Inclusion
- Partnerships for progress including public authorities, private sector, academia, unions, and associations
- Evidenced based policy development, delivery and evaluation
- Innovations in Technology
- Novel ways to teach and promote learning
- Models for aggregation of effort across Government, Business, Education and Civil Society in times of Government austerity.
- Issues in Mobility and Mobile Connectivity
- Misinforming/Misinformation and Bias in informing systems.
- Teaching and mentoring of doctoral students
- The art and science of informing clients
- Case Method of Teaching and Learning
Submission types: You are invited to submit:
- Research Papers. We invite you to submit your completed research paper, present it during the conference, and have it published in the conference proceedings. These papers describe completed research projects and include the questions that prompted the research, the investigative methods, the results, and ideas for future study. You present your paper during a conference session, and we publish the paper in the conference proceedings. Research papers are typically 8 or more pages long and are held to high research standards. They are blind reviewed based on their conceptual development, contribution to the field, or extension of previous work to new contexts. Accepted papers of delegates will be published in the proceedings and the author(s) will present a 20-minute presentation followed by 10 minutes of answering questions. The submission must be an original work that has not been submitted for review in whole or in partto another publication venue.
- Project reports. People in industry commonly submit project reports. These papers describe work completed for a product release and include the problem that prompted the project, the development methods, the results, and ideas for future work. You will present your paper during a conference session, and the paper will be published in the conference proceedings.
- Posters and Notes. Poster Sessions are less formal than paper sessions and allow you to present a work-in-progress, your emerging theories or experiments, and emerging research results. Posters are an excellent way to get feedback on your research that may not yet be ready for publication. Submit a 1-page abstract.
|May 1, 2014|
Submission Deadline: submission arriving after this date will undergo an abbreviated review
|Jun 30, 2014|
Acceptance notices sent. If your submission is accepted as-is, you can upload it for publication in the proceedings. Begin work on your conference presentation
|Jul 28, 2014|
If your submission was accepted pending revisions, the revisions are due
|Aug 7, 2014|
Your final date to upload your manuscript for inclusion in the proceedings
|Aug 7, 2014|
Last Day to Receive Discount for Early Payment of the Registration Fee